For me the camera is a tool to imprint ideas, reviews or manifests; related to personality and inner feelings affected by my daily life. My creative process is not always distinct, sometimes it is coincidental and sometimes follows processes and research. I am seeking a systematic and mechanical way to transfer a concept, sequence repetition of images, emphasize the message and the experience. The camera freezes the inanimate object, exposing any wrinkle or an aesthetic “mistake”. The inanimate object involved with my feelings, emotions and ideas; not less than a living body. The human body undergoes erosion during his life and in parallel it creates erosion on its individual and global environment. I follow this weathering, over time; trying to use the camera to document this process through materials and objects.
I am not seeking to create a balance in my creations and not to serve the concept of beauty. The camera is like a painting brush, perpetuating fleeting emotions, impulsive or calculated and rational ideas. My desire to achieve perfection in photographic images brings me to examine the location again and again, following my emotions, the right angle and the light, while searching for the exact conditions observing the moment with minimal intervention or editing after shooting.
I was born in Israel. Graduated with honor from visual communication design in Tel Aviv and Social Sciences at the Open University of Israel. Over the years I painted, I was influenced by surrealism, cubism, architecture and industrial music. I always followed the geometrical form and its interaction with the environment. During the last 10 years I have worked as a user experience designer, visual designer and user researcher in the mobile technological realm. As part of my daily work I create visual and interaction designs to meet the needs and habits of my users.
Awards and Press
- 2016 Haaretz Photo Blog – Israel News: Expose To The North documentary photography, Dec 2016
- 2016 Rayko Photo Center San Francisco, CA: ‘WITH OUR OWN EYES’ A JURIED EXHIBITION OF DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY
- 2016 Fine Art Photo Awards, PHOTOJOURNALISM NOMINEE: POSITIONS – A year after and nothing has changed
- 2015 Lensculture Editor’s Choice, Visual Storytelling Awards 2015. SUMMER VACATION – WE NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL BRING THE HOT SUMMER WINDS
- 2015 The Center for Fine Art Photography: Memories, Stories, Histories – Group exhibition Fort Collins, Colorado USA.
- 2015 NEUTRAL DENSITY PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS HONORS PHOTOGRAPHER Mr Itay Levin. London (2015) – Photographer Mr Itay Levin of Israel was Awarded with Honorable Mention at a prestigious ND Awards 2015. FINE ART: ABSTRACT
- 2015 MetroArt, photo on the move – photography exhibition on buses by Metropolin and Zilum-Baam Tel Aviv, Israel February 2015.
- 2015 Exposure Award Collections, Image from my project Positions was displayed as part of the digital display at the Musee du Louvre celebrating the Exposure Award.
- 2014 Lensculture Editor’s Choice, Visual Storytelling Awards 2014.
- 2014 NEUTRAL DENSITY PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS HONORS PHOTOGRAPHER Mr Itay Levin. London (November 30, 2014) – Photographer Mr Itay Levin of Israel was Awarded with Honorable Mention at a prestigious ND Awards 2014. PEOPLE: PORTRAIT, SPECIAL: PHOTOJOURNALISM, FINE ART: OTHER
- 2014 Haaretz Photo Blog – Israel News: POSITIONS Pending soldiers during “Solid Rock” Operation in Gaza, July 2014.
- 2013 Emerging Scene, Street photography finalist with “Sprint” B&W photo, 2013.